Bed bugs are an annoying lot and to an extent, getting a bed bug mattress cover helps. Bed bugs may be hiding in cracks around your home, but chances are, some are making the mattress their breeding spot.
It’s true that does not prevent bed bugs from other parts of the house from crawling and biting you but it keeps those hidden in the mattress in check. Bed bugs mattress encasements are designed to have a flat surface, which makes spotting bed bugs easier.
Using a mattress cover also keeps moisture from wicking into the mattress, which makes it an inhabitable spot for bed bugs.
Bed Bugs Mattress Covers Compared
What To Look For In A Mattress Cover For Bed Bugs?
Here are a few things to consider in a mattress cover to attain full coverage from bed begs.
- Full Encasement: For a mattress cover to work effectively, it must completely cover the entire mattress from all six sides. An efficiently functional mattress cover properly seal the mattress, thus ensuring complete blockage of bed bugs and other allergens. So, do consider buying mattress covers with tight zipper seal.
- Lab Tested: Many prestigious brands offer mattress covers that have been lab-tested and certified by qualified entomologists and experts. This ensures the quality of the product. Do check whether the mattress cover you are buying is lab-tested or not.
- Toxin-Free: For added assistance in killing the bed bugs, some mattress covers are treated with harsh chemicals. Although it is efficient but surely dangerous and harmful to your health. So, pick a mattress cover that is toxin-free.
Best Mattress Covers For Bed Bugs
With a vast range of brands and types of mattress covers available in the market, it can be confusing to make the right choice. To make things easier for you, we have handpicked a few of the best premium quality mattress covers for you to pick from.
1. SureGuard Mattress Encasement
- 100% Waterproof
- Soft and noiseless
SureGuard Mattress Encasement assures perfect protection from allergens, bed bugs, liquids, and stains at every nook and corner of the bed. This high-quality mattress cover is made with a 100% cotton terry top which feels comfortable and soft to sleep on.
It is free from any sort of toxic material, PVC, Vinyl, and phthalates. Terry top’s surface is capable of absorbing moisture and liquids. Moreover, it perfectly regulates the temperature which makes it an ideal pick for people who experience night sweats.
- With SureSeal technology and fine quality Invisi-Zip, it provides complete protection from bugs.
- Waterproof material blocks wetting, perspiration, and liquid perfectly.
- Feels soft, plush, and comfortable to the skin.
- Some people may find that the zipper is poorly made.
2. SafeRest Premium Zippered Mattress Encasement
- Lab tested and certified bug proof micro-zipper technology
- Premium cotton terry material
- Breathable and hypoallergenic
SafeRest Premium Zippered Mattress Encasement is lab certified for preventing the entry, escape, and bite of the bed bugs. It properly encases the mattress on all six sides with exclusive micro-zipper technology. Thus preventing the contact of allergens, microbes, dust, fluids, and bed bugs.
It is made with cotton terry material which is breathable and perfectly controls the temperature by allowing airflow. You can easily wash it in the machine. Besides bed bug control, it is an excellent pick for people suffering from allergies, and asthma. It comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Patented zipper perfectly protects the mattress from bugs and allergens on all six sides.
- 360° security nullifies chances for accidental openings.
- Breathable material allows the flow of air and regulates temperature.
- May feel smelly to some people.
3. Utopia Bedding Zippered Mattress Encasement
- Made with thick polyester knitted fabric
- Waterproof stretchable encasement
- Okeo-Tex certified ensures environmental standards
Utopia Bedding Zippered Mattress Encasement offers premium protection from bed bugs, allergens, microbes, and dust. It features deep fitted pockets that flawlessly encase the mattress from all six sides. It is made with thick knitted polyester fabric that feels soft and plush to the skin and is also durable and sturdy.
This breathable fabric provides PVC TPU backing that makes the cover waterproof. If you are suffering from allergies or need safety from allergens generally, this comfortable mattress cover is an excellent option to go for.
- Offers TPU backing that provides impermeable protection against allergens and bed bugs.
- Hand and machine washable.
- 360 degrees security with mini zipper and zip guard.
- Dry cleaning can damage its waterproof backing.
4. CleanRest Pro Bed Bug Mattress Cover
- 100% polyester encasement
- MicroPlush top layer refrain bed bugs entry
- MicronOne® Patented fabric technology
CleanRest Pro Bed Bug Mattress Cover is a must-have for allergy sufferers to enjoy peaceful sleep on plush bedding. This mattress encasement is made with the breathable fabric having venting sidewalls for the ventilation of hot air.
The MicronOne® Patented fabric is certified to block entry of all micro toxins with a size greater than 1 micron. Such specific precision keeps your mattress safe from, allergens and bed bug infestation.
The Zip-N-Click™ lock ensures a full coverage, thus completely block the passage from cover to the mattress. This amazing product comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Easy to put on and absolutely fitted mattress cover act as a bed bug barrier.
- The waterproof layer offers safety after spillage of water, urine, or any liquid.
- Zip-N-Click™ lock blocks entry and escape of all stages of bed bugs.
5. Hospitology Products Sleep Defense System
- 100% Bed bug proof
- 100% Waterproof
- Made with soft polyester knit fabric
Hospitology Products Sleep Defense System zipped mattress encasement works as a safety cover for you against bed bugs, mold spores, dust mites, dust, and other allergens. Wrapping up your mattress perfectly on all six sides, this mattress cover gives you 100% protection from bed bugs.
Extra soft and plush polyester knit fabric superbly regulate heat, making it a perfect pick for hot sleepers. Its breathable fabric is also spillage proof, thus your mattress will remain dry in case of any liquid spillage. This bed bug cover comes with the manufacturer’s 5-year warranty.
- Easy to install.
- Completely locks the mattress with a premium quality zipper.
- Machine washable.
- Great for sleeping in cold temperature but feels hot in the warm season
6. GuardMax Bed Bug Proof Mattress Encasement
- 100% Water-resistant
- Hypoallergenic fabric
- Soft and noiseless
GuardMax Bed Bug Proof Mattress protector is an ideal pick for allergy sufferers. With this mattress protector on your bed, you can enjoy a sound sleep without worrying about bed bugs, or bed bug bites.
This mattress encasement is hypoallergenic and keeps the mattress guarded against all sorts of allergens, microbes, and dust. The material of this mattress cover is sturdy, durable, and does not crack or tear up.
With its water resistance quality, this mattress encasement is a perfect choice for families with kids and pets. This feels soft, plush, and comfortable to the skin.
- Perfect zipper encasement ensures safety from bed bugs.
- Durable zipper glides smoothly and effortlessly all around the mattress.
- Machine washable and dry.
- May not remain waterproof for long.
7. AllerEase Zippered Mattress Protector
- Easy to put on and off
- Bed Bug barrier
AllerEase Zippered Mattress Protector offers complete protection from house dust mites, bed bugs, and other household allergens. It is super easy to install this on your mattress, and when it is time to clean, you can easily put it off as well.
This mattress cover is made with high-quality fabric that feels soft to sleep on. And the temperature of this mattress cover remains regulated whether it is cold or hot in summer, unlike plastic or vinyl material. It will not trap the body’s heat and remain naturally breathable and comfortable.
- Provides complete protection from bed bugs, pollen, dust mites, mold spores, and other allergens.
- A soft and breathable top layer adds to the overall comfort.
- Temperature balancing technology always keeps the temperature of the mattress normal.
- The upper layer of the cover is a little noisy.
How Does Mattress Covers Work For Bed Bugs?
Ordinary mattress covers which put on just like a bed sheet and do nothing in protecting against bed bugs, dust mites, or allergens. However, mattress encasements that properly cover the mattress from every nook and corner can tremendously help in minimizing the bed bug infestation.
These mattress encasements are made of particular, tightly woven fabric that acts as a complete barrier. This barrier does not allow entry or escape of bed bugs at any stage of their life. Any bed bug entrapped inside will die inside which can be removed and cleaned easily.
The mattress covers tightly pack the mattress, leaving no creases to act as hiding places for the bed bugs. The mattress cover is an incredibly efficient product to get rid of bed bugs.
Can Mattress Cover Kill Bed Bugs?
Not all mattress covers have the characteristic to kill the bed bugs. Mattress covers that are treated with chemicals assist in killing the bed bugs that come in contact. However, the use of harsh chemicals is unnecessary and can be dangerous as well.
Although chemically treated mattress covers can kill bed bugs, it is highly recommended to go for toxin-free and chemical-free mattress covers. Toxin-free mattress covers also work efficiently well in getting rid of bed bugs, dust mites, and other common household allergens.
Generally, an encasement is used to deny bed bugs trapped in the mattress food and moisture, which cause the pest do die a slow death.
So, it is not necessary to pick a chemical-treated mattress cover. Overall, you must be cautious while purchasing a new mattress cover.
Can Bed Bugs Crawl Through A Plastic Mattress Cover?
A plastic mattress cover is a fine choice in keeping your mattress protected from bed bugs infestation as the bugs cannot crawl through the plastic material. However, the mattress cover must be sealed or zippered properly from all sides. Plus, it must not have any holes or teared up from anywhere due to manufacturing defects or human error.
Moreover, the quality of plastic material itself must be good, thus ensuring zero cracks and creasing during use. The premium quality, perfectly wrapped up, plastic cover will perfectly protect your mattress from bed bugs. And if there be any bed bugs already in the mattress, the plastic mattress cover will cause their death eventually because of a lack of food and moisture.
Other Ways To Protect Your Mattress From Bed Bugs
Covering your mattress with mattress encasement is the best way to keep your bedding safe from bed bugs infestation. It is advisable to buy light-colored mattress cover as it is easy to see the bed bugs on them. To be more secure, here are some other ways which you can adopt to be on the safe side.
- Use box springs to eliminate all hiding spots of the bed bugs.
- Regularly vacuum your bedding and other places to ensure complete removal of bed bugs and their eggs.
- Frequently wash your bed sheets, mattress cover all other bedding material.
- Be mindful of any cracks or holes in the mattress cover as the openings are a free passage for bed bugs to crawl through.
- Use a steam cleaner to kill bed bugs hiding in cracks and crevices.
Can you wash a bed bug mattress cover?
Yes, it is safe to wash the mattress cover. Rather, it is important to keep it clean and wash it periodically after a couple of months. The mattress cover seals your mattress and guard it properly against all sorts of allergens, dust, dust mites, and bed bug infestation, therefore, it is vital to clean the cover every once in a while as well.
Before washing your mattress cover, do check out the manufacturer’s instructions. The details of washing directions are mentioned by the manufacturer. Most of the mattress covers are machine washable and need tumble dry. Ideally, Wash the mattress cover as instructed to prevent damaging the fabric.
For everyone who wants to keep their mattress completely protected from the bed bug infestation, having a quality mattress cover is a must. Can it solve all your bed bug problems? Probably not. But it traps those that area already hiding in the mattress.