Best House Dust Mite Sprays (2019 Update)
The truth is, you can’t rely on a single method to get rid of dust mites. These unseen pests are all over the place but specifically thriving in places with warm, humid air and where specks of dust are bound to gather. Using a dust mite spray helps in reducing the population of dust mites amidst the regular cleaning and hygienic practices.
Top Rated Dust Mites Spray Compared
What Are Dust Mites
Pray that you’ve never stared into the face of dust mites. For they are hideous microscopic bugs that share the same species family as spiders, but with a more hideous appearance. Dust mites averaged 0.3 millimeters in size, lives in warm and humid environments and feasts on dead skin cells.
Considering that you spent about a quarter of your day in the bed, you may have a thriving population of dust mites sleeping with you. Most people are oblivious to the presence of dust mites unless they are allergic to dust mites excretion, which triggers a series of symptoms like sneezing, itchy throats, and teary eyes.
Dust mites allergy shouldn’t be taken likely, especially in children. When left untreated, the constant coughing can lead to the child developing asthma. While there are medicines to alleviate the symptoms of dust mites allergy, you’ll also want to get rid of dust mites from your home.
Signs Of Dust Mites In Your Home
Dust mites are too small for your eyes. So, how do you know if your home is infested by these near-invisible pests?
Some people are allergic to the presence of dust mites and would develop symptoms gradually from the exposure. Pay attention if you or any family members start coughing, sneezing, suffering from an irritated throat or eyes allergy. These are tell-tale symptoms of a dense dust mites colony in your home.
Once the symptoms are detected, you’ll want to check on the indoor temperature and humidity. Dust mites thrive on 80%-90% humidity and 68-77 degrees Fahrenheit. If you spot molds and mildews growing in the bathroom or kitchen, it’s a sign that your home has pretty high humidity.
Like any living organisms, dust mites need food and when an individual shed millions of dead skin cells a day, your home will be the perfect breeding ground for dust mites. Further evidence will require sampling and observing under a microscope.
Substances That Kill Dust Mites
Dust mites may be near invisible, but they are not invincible. There are certain substances, natural and chemical, that could put an end to the lives of dust mites.
For instance, benzyl benzoate, a topical medicine often prescribed for scabies, is found to be effective for killing dust mites. A study conducted by the University of British Columbia as affirmed that benzyl benzoate is indeed an effective agent in terminating dust mites.
Another equally lethal chemical for dust mites is the phenyl salicylate. This chemical is also commonly used in producing sunscreens, waxes, and adhesives.
Of course, it doesn’t have to be all chemicals when it comes to terminating dust mites. Some essential oils like eucalyptus, tea tree, lavender, peppermint, and clove are known to be good natural dust mites killer.
A study published in 2006 shows that clove oil is the most effective in getting rid of dust mites amongst thirteen other essential oils. You’ll also find that eucalyptus oil is a popular remedy used for household infested with dust mites.
Choosing The Right Dust Mite Spray
There’s much to consider when choosing a dust mite spray. And trust me, the price is not something that you’ll want to base your decision on. You’ll want to get a dust mite spray that is effective in terminating dust mites in the house but keeping its occupant safe.
Ensure that you’ve run through this checklist before choosing a spray.
- Safe for human and pets – Always make it a point to ensure that the dust mite spray is not toxic for humans and pets. Ingesting or inhaling toxic chemicals can lead to serious complications.
- Environmental friendly – Consider the effects the spray has on the earth. Look for products that are in compliance with the Environmental Protection Agency or is certified by other recognized bodies.
- Intended Materials – You’ll want to ensure that the spray does not damage the material it is sprayed on. Always check the labels if it is suitable for the type of fabrics, wood or other materials in your home.
- Size – If you’re suspecting that dust mites are running rampant in various parts of your house, you’ll want to get a dust mite spray that lasts for months. Else you’ll be busy placing orders for new ones.
- Ingredients – Even if the dust mite spray is advertised as human-friendly, you’ll want to know what it is made of. There’s a possibility that you may be allergic to some of the ingredients contained.
- Effectiveness – Of course, a good dust mite spray helps to kill off the dust mites. Together with keeping your home dust-free, it gradually reduces the allergic symptoms that you’re experiencing.
How To Use Dust Mite Spray
Is dust mite spray the ultimate solution to the episodes of allergy? No, it’s not. Using dust mite spray complements the regular cleaning that you’ve been doing at home. To kill dust mites, you’ll want to spray on the mattress, carpets, rugs, soft toys, and places that are prone to accumulating dust.
Maintain a schedule when using the dust mite spray. Rather than a one-off process, getting rid of dust mites require continuous effort.
Where To Buy Dust Mite Spray
Dust mites allergy is a common problem in many households. You should have no problem buying a dust mite spray in local supermarkets, bedding care stores or in some cases, pharmacies. Alternatively, you can order one from leading online retailers, such as Amazon where you get to compare feedbacks before making a decision.
Best House Dust Mite Sprays 2019
It always pays to be cautious when it comes to dust mite sprays, especially when you have children living in your home. Here are some of the top-rated dust mite sprays that are not only effective but gentle on humans as well.
1. Eradicator Bed Bug & Dust Mite Spray
The Eradicator dust mite spray offers a safe way to kills the dust mites while leaving everything else intact. The spray is made of natural biodegradable ingredients which made it a non-toxic solution for dust mites control.
You can use the spray without worries as it is safe for humans and pets. Not only that, but the spray also doesn’t leave any stain on surfaces, especially white fabrics. This ensures you won’t damage any beddings or furniture while battling dust mites at home.
The efficacy of the spray is scientifically proven. After spraying your room and leaving it for 2-3 hours, you may start to feel the allergic symptoms gradually ceases. As it doesn’t leave any odor, you could use it every day while cleaning to keep the growth of dust mites in check.
- Natural, biodegradable formula.
- Very effective in killing dust mites.
- Does not stain fabrics and furniture.
- Safe for humans and pets.
- Cost-effective solution for dust mite control.
- Some customers received products with a broken spray nozzle.
2. Allersearch ADMS Anti Allergen Spray
If you’re worried about staining fabrics with a dust mite spray, you may want to try the ADMS Anti-Allergen Spray by Allersearch. While the formula is inorganic, the spray does not contain tannic acid and benzyl benzoate, which are known to be harsh on white-colored fabric.
It is gentle on people, pets and the environment, although the same cannot be said on the colonies of dust mites in your home. The formula is particularly effective in killing dust mites upon contact. Besides that, it’s also equally effective in getting rid of other allergens like pollen, mold, and mildew.
This non-toxic dust mite spray works well for various items in your home, such as the carpet, curtains, upholstery and even for the interior of your car. A single 32 oz spray is sufficient to cover approximately 600 sq ft of area. It’s advisable that you re-spray every 3 months for optimum effects.
Using the ADMS spray is no rocket science. After spraying over the bed, cushions, carpets or other items, wait for around 2 hours before cleaning remaining residues with a vacuum or a cloth. It will have done its job in killing the dust mites during that time.
- Does not create stains on white fabric.
- Safe for people and pets.
- Environmental friendly.
- Does not contain tannic acid and benzyl benzoate.
- Effective in reducing allergy symptoms.
- The odor of the spray may be unpleasant to some.
3. PremoGuard Bed Bug & Lice Killer
This beg bug spray by PremoGuard kills more than bed bugs. Made from natural ingredients that are non-toxic, it is equally lethal for the dust mites that are hidden in the mattress or other items in your home.
The formula is non-toxic can carefully crafted to ensure it doesn’t cause staining on your precious furniture. There’s also no worries using the spray when your child or pets are around as it is certified to be safe. You’ll also won’t suffer from any unpleasant odor that’s commonly associated with conventional pesticides.
A preferred option by exterminators, the spray is formulated by a team of top entomologists using natural plant extracts. If you’re wondering how natural formula can be so lethal for dust mites, it’s due to active ingredients of the extract that damage the outer shells of dust mites, killing them instantly.
Quality and safety for dust mite spray are crucial and this PremoGuard ensures the product is manufactured in a GMP-certified facility and complies with Certified Natural Products Association (NPA). You need not to worry about damaging the earth with this dust mite spray.
It’s best to incorporate PremoGuard spray into your regular cleaning routine. Spray sufficient amount on areas infested with dust mites, such as the beddings, chairs, rugs, and curtains. The residue of the spray will last for up to two weeks before you need to apply the spray again.
- Made from natural plant ingredients
- Manufactured in GMP facilities.
- Environmental friendly.
- Odorless and does not produce harmful fume.
- 100% kill rate (according to PremoGuard)
- May not be effective for heavy infestations.
4. Euroclean 3-in-1 Natural Bed Bug Spray Killer
Chemicals are absolutely a big no-no a dust mite killer, particularly when your family has toddlers and pets. The Euroclean bed bug spray killer is formulated with natural eucalyptus essential oil that eliminates dust mites naturally.
You can use it on common hiding places of dust mites, such as the beds, furniture, carpets, rugs or even in soft toys. The natural properties of the eucalyptus oil will put an end to the dust mites rampaging in your home.
It’s a great choice for people who find the odor of chemical intolerable, as the eucalyptus is refreshing and helps to deodorize your home. Your cats may even love its piney smell and would suffer no harm when you’re spraying on the pet’s bedding.
The Euroclean spray is amazingly simple to use, as it comes with a bottle with a spray nozzle. Just spray at the common suspects of dust mites hiding, and vacuum the dead and unseen pests after a couple of hours. It’s a perfect travel companion if you’re worried about dust mites in hotels.
- Formulated from natural eucalyptus essential oil.
- Safe for people and pets.
- Great for travel.
- Has a pleasant piney aroma.
- Effective in killing dust mites.
- May not work for serious infestations.
5. Cosyworld Bed Bug Non-Toxic Spray
Both bed bugs and dust mites are annoying pests. But you can have the latter hiding in your bed with the absence of the former. Still, this organic pest killer spray by Cosyworld works well to eliminate the millions of dust mites in your home.
The spray is made of one of the most potent essential oils that kill dust mites, the clove oil. It is highly effective that it could kill dust mites almost instantly. Not only that, the residue of the oil ensures that you could enjoy 2 weeks of protection before these pests attempt to make a return.
You can use the spray without worrying about harming your children or pets. The product is EPA-exempt and does not contain any form of toxic chemicals in it. Thus, you can expect an odorless experience when you’re spraying at every hiding places of dust mites at home.
The spray is formulated to be gentle on your household items. This means no fretting of your bedsheets turning yellow, or stains forming on the curtains after the spray has dried. You may want to spray on your bed a few times during the initial use if you’re suspecting a huge colony of dust mites resides in it.
- Formulated with natural clove oil.
- EPA-exempt and non-toxic.
- Does not cause stains on surfaces.
- Residual protection for up to two weeks.
- Helps to reduce dust mites population at home.
- May not be the best choice for major infestations.
6. Allersearch ADS Anti Allergen Dust Spray
Dust mites can be annoyingly stubborn if the environment is ideal for their growth. If you need a stronger dust mite spray, this Allersearch anti-allergen dust spray is the perfect solution. Unlike the ADMS spray mentioned above, this ADS variant packs a whole lot more power when combating dust mites.
This ADS spray contains tannic acid, which is the major factor of why it’s particularly effective for dust mites. Tannic acid works by denaturing the protein released by dust mites, rendering it non-allergenic permanently. In short, it will put a stop to the episodes of allergic.
While the tannic acid may effective for dust mites issues, the ADS spray may leave a stain on white or off-white fabrics. You’ll want to be cautious of not staining your precious sofa or the satin-white curtain in the room. To be safe, use ADS only in dark-colored fabrics.
To put an end to the dust mites problems, you’ll want to spray the ADS solution in the common hiding places of dust mites. Leave it for 3 hours for the solution to kill the mites. Then, use a vacuum to remove the numerous dead mites from the beddings or carpets.
- Highly potent dust mite spray with tannic acid.
- Safe for people, pets and the environment.
- Up to 3 months of residual protection.
- Suitable for heavy infestations of dust mites.
- Medically proven to neutralize allergens.
- May leave stains on white fabrics.
At times, battling dust mites can be very frustrating, especially when you’re developing allergic symptoms. I hope that some of the sprays highlighted help you to contain or eradicate dust mites population in your home.
- Best Air Purifier For Dust Mites
- How To Get Rid Of Dust Mites From Your Skin
- Where Do Dust Mites Live (And How You’re Feeding Them Unknowingly)
- How To Remove Dust From The Air
- How To Eliminate Dust In Your Home